Hubble - 15 Years of Discovery
The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope is one of the biggest scientific projects of all time. To mark the 15th anniversary on 24 April 2005, the European Space Agency presented a series of unique activities in collaboration with partners all over Europe. These includes an exclusive, full-length DVD film (one of the most widely distributed documentary films ever), a CD of the film soundtrack, a full-colour book and additional educational material. All over Europe, there were Hubble Day events, press events and planetarium shows about Hubble.
Our activities around the Anniversary were:
- The documentary movie “Hubble – 15 Years of Discovery” issued on DVD and for broadcast TV
- Events, planetarium shows and press meetings
- Educational Material
- Full-colour anniversary book
- Movie Poster
- The soundtrack
- Planetarium Show Package for planetarium show production
The movie “Hubble – 15 Years of Discovery”
- Distributed on DVD and through TV channels.
- Duration: 83 minutes + 60 minutes Bonus and National material (i.e. a full-length movie)
- Subtitles in several languages:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Português (PT)
- Português (BR)
- To match the individual cultures and national traditions a record number of 17 different DVD label and 13 different cover version were produced.
- 800,000 DVD copies of the first edition of the movie was distributed through more than 80 delivery points all over Europe (magazines, newspapers, science centres etc.). This makes it probably the most widely distributed science documentary ever
- An estimated 10 million viewers (roughly) will have watched the movie through various TV channels.
The book “Hubble – 15 Years of Discovery”
- 120 pages in full colour. Cover with matte finish with partial varnish
- Includes a full copy of the DVD
- Light, image-rich design to attract the attention of the less science-attentive part of the population.
- First edition: 5,000 copies.
- Translated into Portuguese, German and Finnish.
National Partners that collaborated to support and materialise the project
1. Academy of Athens, Greece
2. Eugenides Planetarium, Greece
3. Eleftherotypia, Greece
4. Hamburg Planetarium, Germany
5. Sterne und Weltraum, Germany
6. Astronomie Heute, Germany
7. New Scientist, UK
8. ESPACE magazine, France
9. Expresso, Partugal
10. IMAX Tycho Brahe Planetarium, Denmark
11. Danish National Space Centre, Denmark
12. Politiken, Denmark
13. Ursa Astronomical Association, Finland
14. The Finnish National Technology Agency, Finland
15. Centro Multimeios de Espinho, Portugal
16. Fundação Navegar, Portugal
17. Le Stelle, Italy
18. Zeiss Planetarium Vienna, Austria
19. SDC, Germany
20. Armagh Planetarium, UK
21. DeKoepel, The Netherlands
22. Veen Magazines, The Netherlands
More than 60 events were held all over Europe to celebrate Hubble’s 15th anniversary and share the excitement of space: “Hubble Days”, talks, unveilings of two 3-metre large anniversary images, exhibitions and more. It is worth noting the large enthusiasm with which EU third countries embraced this project and used it as an opportunity to further the interest in astronomy in different towns and cities around Europe. If you need more information please contact us.
The project overview in PDF format can be downloaded here.