Celebrating 30 years of the Hubble Space Telescope
On the 24 April 2019, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope will celebrate 30 years since its launch.
During the 1970s, NASA and ESA began planning for a space telescope that could transcend the blurring effects of the atmosphere and take clearer images of the Universe than ever before. In 1990 the idea finally became a reality and, despite a flaw in the main mirror which was quite swiftly corrected, Hubble has since far exceeded expectations.
It has delved deeper into the early years of the Universe than was ever thought possible, played a critical part in the discovery that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating and probed the atmospheres of planets around distant stars.
To celebrate this quarter century of success and impact in engineering, science and culture ESA/Hubble will run a series of projects to involve the public in the celebrations. Details of these projects will appear below as the projects commence.
Hubble30 Calendar and Social Media Competition — Pick Hubble's Best Hidden Gems
To celebrate Hubble’s 30th anniversary we have selected 30 hidden gems from the telescope’s archive of images. We are giving you all the chance to vote for your favourite images. The 12 images with most of your votes will be used for a Hubble 2020 anniversary calendar. We will also select 12 winners from those of you who cast a vote to receive a printed copy of the calendar.
The images will be shared on ESA/Hubble’s Facebook and Instagram accounts using the hashtag #Hubble30 and a numbering watermark. The competition is open from 30 September until 10 November. To enter the competition:
- On Facebook you must:
- Like and Follow our Facebook Page.
- For the #Hubble30 images, you prefer, hit the like or love button and leave a comment so we can easily contact you if you are the winner.
- On Instagram you must:
- Follow our Instagram account.
- For the #Hubble30 images, you prefer, hit the love button and leave a comment so we can easily contact you if you are the winner.
Comments can be anything you want to tell us, short or long, but they should not be offensive. Please refer to our social media House Rules if in doubt.
Please also read our Terms and Conditions below.
The winners will be announced in November 2019 and the calendars will be shipped in January 2020.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to anyone having a valid Instagram or Facebook account that belongs to you and respects the platforms’ rules.
- To participate you must cast your vote for your favourite image from the 30 images shared on Hubble’s Facebook and Instagram accounts. The images will be shared using the hashtag #Hubble30. You are welcome to like other images we share, but only votes cast for these images are taken into account for the purpose of this competition.
- The votes are cast by hitting the like or love button on Facebook and love button on Instagram respectively.
- You can vote for more images, but you cannot create and use multiple accounts and vote from each of them. Anyone found using multiple accounts to enter will be excluded.
- The deadline for votes is 10 November 2019 23:59:59 CEST. Check your time zone here.
- Anyone may vote, but people working for ESA/Hubble, and their immediate family and household, are not eligible to win.
- ESA/Hubble will draw 12 winners as follows: first, we will draw the image where to look at the pool of voters. Then we will draw one winner from that pool of voters. We will repeat the process 12 times, 6 for Facebook and 6 for Instagram. We will also draw runner-up winners.
- ESA/Hubble will contact the winners by tagging the users (@yourusername) in a comment to the image using the Hubble Space Telescope Facebook and Instagram accounts. Make sure you follow these accounts to get notified.
- The winner should reply providing us with a valid email address where we can contact them to receive the distribution address and phone numbers for shipping the calendar.
- If we do not receive a reply within 7 days, the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be chosen from the runner-up list.
- You authorise ESA/Hubble to publish the name and country of the winner on our website and in other promotional material when publishing the result of the competition.
- By accepting the prize, the winner agrees that ESA/Hubble can use their name and profile image in publications, on www.spacetelescope.org and elsewhere.
- The prize consists of a Hubble 30th anniversary printed calendar. The calendars will be shipped around January 2020.
- The decisions of ESA/Hubble on all matters related to the competition are final.
- ESA/Hubble reserves the right to cancel or modify this competition or its terms at any time.
- The competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook or Instagram.
- Users must obey the ESA/Hubble house rules, Facebook Community rules and the Instagram community rules at all times.
- Any personal information shared with us during this competition will be used for the sole purpose of the contest.
- By entering this competition you agree with all the conditions and terms stated above.